The Hart Co. Running Club is excited to announce the return of the Lake Hartwell Dam Run for 2021! REGISTRATION PACKET
Both the 5k and 10k will be in-person. In an agreement with the Corps of Engineers, a safety plan (see attached) has been developed and must be adhered to by all race personnel and participants. The plan and race waiver must be read and signed to enter.
No race day registration. Online registration on active.com and mail-in registrations must be received by midnight on April 26, 2021.
5K & 10K registration is $30 and includes a colorful Lake Hartwell Dam Run tech shirt. No shirt option is $20. Mail-in or register online at www.active.com.
Packet pick-up begins @ 7:00AM on race day at Big Oaks recreation area behind the Corps of Engineer office on US 29. Free Parking is available at the Corps of Engineer office area. Restrooms are available.
One of Georgia’s most scenic 5K road races. Runners start in SC and run across the perfectly flat dam back into GA.
Georgia’s most scenic 10K. Starts in GA and goes across the Savannah River Bridge and comes back across the dam to finish in GA.
Directions: Take I-85 to Hartwell exit 177. Go through Hartwell to Corps of Engineers Resource Manager’s office on US Highway 29 North.
All proceeds will be given to the Hart Co. Cross Country & Track Teams.
Camping, marinas, beaches, restaurants and lodging nearby. Call 706-376-8590 for details.
Both courses are USATF Certified. 5K: GA11034WC 10K: GA11033WC
5K and 10K races are chip timed using an electronic timing system
SAFETY PLAN-LAKE HARTWELL DAM RUN-2021 Purpose: The purpose of this plan is to outline a comprehensive safety plan for returning to racing responsibly amidst the COVID-19 concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all participants, staff, volunteers and community partners remain as safe as possible while attending the event.
This plan addresses core aspects of road races and is based on expert data, government requirements, race industry best practices and participant feedback. These steps may be modified at any time based upon anticipated changes in restrictions by health officials leading up to the event date. Any changes will be communicated to the US Army Corps of Engineers and registrants prior to race day.
1. Communication-Ahead of the race, we will outline any specific changes to this safety procedure for participants, staff, volunteers and spectators. If necessary, we’ll publish a plan update prior to race day and email it to all registrants.
2. Online Registration Only-There will be no in-person registration on race day. To avoid prolonged close contact, everyone will be required to register online or by mail prior to attending packet pickup.
3. Face Coverings-Our race staff and volunteers will wear face masks/coverings at all times. All participants will be required to wear a face mask/covering during non-competition times, including packet pickup, pre-race, start line and post-race, after crossing the finish line. Volunteers will be utilized to monitor this step and provide guidance as required.
4. Sanitation-Hand sanitizers will be available in the packet pick-up area, Porta-johns and throughout the finish line area.
5. Packet Pick-Up: Packets will be obtained in an open air pavilion with tables that are spaced out to promote proper social distancing. The tables will be separated by last name/gender in a method to minimize a buildup of participants in lines. Lines will be monitored by volunteers and guidance/adjustments provided as necessary. Face coverings will be required during this process and sanitation will be provided in this area 5. Bus Shuttles to 5K Start Line: The number of participants will be limited on the shuttle buses and seats should be occupied to provide safe social distancing during the transport. Face coverings of all occupants will be required during the transportation.
6. Start Line: Prior to the start, participants will be directed when to approach the start line and to maintain social distancing while lining up in the start corral area. All participants will be required to wear a face mask/covering until after they cross the start line at the start of the race, and encouraged to keep the mask/covering with them for the entire race. You are not required to keep the face covering on during the race itself. Minimal instructions will be given at the start line to minimize time in the corral.
7. Race Course: No water/aid stations will be setup for the events. Participants will need to carry their own hydration/nutrition during the race if needed. Be aware of the race day weather conditions prior to the race to determine your needs.
8. Finish Line & Post Race: The race will be chip timed. Using this method of timing, there will be no personal contact to hand the runners a finish card or for the runners to gather around a results board area. After crossing the finish line, runners must put back on their face mask/covering. Face masks/coverings will also be available at the finish line if needed. Runners are then asked to leave the event area ASAP after your run. Results will be provided on an online race management website. There will not be any awards or award ceremonies. There will be no post-race refreshments provided. If needed, post-race nutrition/hydration must be brought by the participant.
Please address any questions or concerns about this safety plan to Judd Bailey, race director of the Lake Hartwell Dam Run through email@example.com.
Lake Hartwell Dam Run
Date and Time
Saturday May 1, 2021 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM EDT
Big Oaks Recreation Area
US Hwy 29 just north of Hartwell, GA